Estimated Reading Time: 5 minutes
The Midori Sour: All About the Perfect Party CocktailMidori, Vodka, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, and Soda Water come together to create the world-renowned cocktail known as the Midori Sour. Whether you're hosting a party or simply looking for a refreshing, sweet, tasty drink to enjoy, this delicious concoction is sure to please.
The History of the Midori Sour
Who invented the Midori SourIn February 1899, Shinjiro Torii created the Suntory beverage company in Osaka, Osaka, Japan, and is responsible for inventing this fantastic cocktail. Torii first created Midori Liqueur which was then used in the Midori Sour.
Where and When was the Cocktail InventedThe drink originated in Japan and made its way to the United States in 1978. A fun fact about the cocktail is that it was a massive hit at the famous now closed Studio 54 nightclub in New York City during the late 1970s. Today it is known around the world and is still a popular drink.
What does the Midori Sour Taste LikeThe Midori provides a unique melon flavor, while the vodka gives the drink a nice kick. The lemon juice and lime juice give it a tartness that is perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the melon liqueur. And the soda water adds a touch of bubbles and refreshment. These ingredients combined create a great cocktail with a perfect balance of flavors.
How to make a Midori Sour
Midori Sour Recipe
- 1 oz Midori Liqueur
- 1 oz Vodka
- 0.5 oz Lemon Juice
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 5 oz Soda Water
Instructions:Preparation time without Barsys Coaster: 5 - 10 minutes
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker and pour in the Midori, Vodka, Lemon Juice, and Lime Juice.
- Shake well and strain into a Cocktail Glass.
- Pour in the Soda Water and give it a nice stir.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel, lime wedge, and or a maraschino cherry.
- Add ice to the glass to keep the drink chilled.
- Edit the Midori Sour recipe to your liking by adding more lemon and lime juice, less soda water, and or using ginger beer or ginger ale instead of soda water.
Tips on How to Make the Best Midori Sour Cocktail
- Start with high-quality ingredients. Use fresh lemon and lime juice, not from a bottle. And use a good quality vodka like Grey Goose.
- Shake and stir the drink well. This will help to evenly distribute the flavors.
- Change up the serving glass and use a Martini Glass to elevate the cocktail even more.
What to pair with the Midori SourIf you're looking for the perfect pairing for your Midori Sour cocktail, look no further than these three delicious options. Whether you're in the mood for something sweet, savory, or even a little bit of both, these dishes are guaranteed to complement your cocktail perfectly.
Sweet:If you want to keep things on the sweeter side, try pairing your Midori Sour with a dessert-like cheesecake or chocolate mousse. The sweetness of the Midori will perfectly offset the richness of these desserts, creating a heavenly combination that's sure to please any sweet tooth.
Savory:For a more savory option, try pairing your refreshing drink with a dish like sushi or sashimi. The acidity of the Midori Sour will help to cut through the richness of these dishes, making for a perfectly balanced meal.
Both:If you can't decide between sweet and savory, why not go for both? A dish like tempura shrimp or chicken katsu is the perfect option for those who want a little bit of everything. The light batter on the seafood will be a perfect contrast to the sweetness of the Midori, while the chicken will add a lovely depth of flavor to the drink. Whichever pairing you choose, we're sure you'll love sipping on a Midori Sour at your next party!
All About Midori Liqueur
Midori Liqueur is an essential ingredient in the Midori Sour. After all, the cocktail has Midori in the name. This sweet mixer can be purchased at most liqueur stores and be used for other cocktail recipes.
- Midori is a melon-flavored liqueur that was first introduced in 1978 by Suntory, a Japanese company.
- The name "Midori" means "green" in Japanese, and the liqueur is indeed a vibrant, bright green color.
- Midori is made with honeydew melons that are grown in the Shizuoka Prefecture of Japan.
- The melons are then combined with alcohol and sugar to create the finished product.
Recommended Vodka Options
To make the best Midori Sour using high-quality ingredients is key suggest using one of the following vodkas:
These are all great vodka options that will make a delicious Midori Sour. Cheers!
Recommended Soda OptionsHere are a few suggested brands of soda water to create this bright green drink.
-Fever-Tree Club Soda
These are all nice choices that will make a Midori Sour with a perfect balance.
If you love the Midori Sour, you'll love these cocktails!
The GrinchRecipe: Midori Liqueur, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup
The Vampire's KissRecipe: Midori Liqueur, Blood Orange Flavored Vodka, Pineapple Juice, Cream, Grenadine Syrup
The Mind EraserRecipe: Vodka, Coffee Flavored Liqueur, Soda Water
The Fixer UpperRecipe: Vodka, White Chocolate Liqueur, Amaro Liqueur, Espresso
In ConclusionNow that you have learned about the history and how to make a Midori Sour, try out this classic, fun, bright green drink today! It is perfect for making a large batch for happy hour, St. Patrick's Day, and might even become one of your new favorite cocktails. So go ahead and give it a try – you won't be disappointed!
Please rate this recipe and share your thoughts in the comments below!