National Punch Day: 3 Punches To Make For A Crowd!
Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes
It's Tuesday, September 20th, which means it’s National Punch Day! What better way to celebrate than by mixing up a few delicious punches using seasonal flavors, like apples, oranges, and passion fruits? Check out these three recipes that are perfect for any party!
This History Of Punch
Few drinks are as delicious or as versatile as punch. Whether you're looking for a refreshing summer beverage or a festive holiday cocktail, punch can fit the bill. But where did this drink come from?
The history of punch is a bit of a mystery. Some say that it was invented by sailors in the 17th century, who drank it on long voyages. Others believe that it originated in India, where it was used as a Medicine. Regardless of its origins, punch quickly became popular in Britain, and by the 18th century, it was a staple at fashionable society gatherings.
Punch is typically made with a combination of spirits, wine, fruit juice, and spices. The most important ingredient, however, is sugar. This sweetener not only makes punch more palatable; it also helps to mask the taste of inferior alcohols. For this reason, punch was often made with lower-quality spirits during the 18th and 19th centuries. Today, however, punches are typically made with high-quality ingredients, making them even more delicious than their historical counterparts.
Power Of 5
How To Make The Power Of 5 Recipe
- 1 oz White Rum
- 1 oz Spiced Rum
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 1.5 oz Pineapple Juice
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 0.25 oz Grenadine Syrup
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, add White Rum, Spiced Rum, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Lime Juice, and Grenadine Syrup.
- Shake well and strain into an ice filled Old Fashioned Glass.
- Garnish with an Orange Slice and serve.
Tipsy On The Beach
How To Make The Tipsy On The Beach Recipe
- 1.5 oz Bourbon Whiskey
- 0.5 oz Strawberry Liqueur
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz Apple Juice
- 0.75 oz Lime Juice
- 0.5 oz Cinnamon Syrup
- In a mixing glass with ice, add Bourbon Whiskey, Strawberry Liqueur, Angostura Bitters, Apple Juice, Lime Juice, and Cinnamon Syrup.
- Mix well and strain into an ice filled Old Fashioned Glass.
- Garnish with an Apple Slice and Cinnamon Stick and serve.
3P'S : Passion Plus Punch
How To Make The 3P'S : Passion Plus Punch Recipe
- 2 oz Gin
- 0.5 oz All Spice Syrup
- 0.75 oz Passion Fruit Puree
- 1.5 oz Orange Juice
- 10 Mint Leaves
Half Passion Fruit
- In a mixing glass with ice, add Gin, All Spice Syrup, Passion Fruit Puree, Orange Juice, and Mint Leaves.
- Mix well and strain into a fresh ice filled Highball Glass.
- Garnish with a Mint Sprig and Half a Passion Fruit and serve.
Tips On How To Make The Best National Punch Day Cocktails
- When making fruity punch, grab your best punch bowl and increase the measurements of the punch recipes.
- Try adding various fruit juices such as pineapple juice, orange juice, or pomegranate juice to change up the flavor of your punch.
- Make your punch fizzy by adding ginger beer, club soda, or lemon lime soda.
Recommended Rum Brands
When it comes to rum, there are endless choices on the market. Here are three of our favorite rum brands that we recommend checking out for the best rum punch:
Ron Zacapa 23
This Guatemalan rum is aged for 23 years in a Solera system, which gives it a complex and unique flavor profile. It's perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks.
This light, smooth rum that is perfect for making fruity drinks like daiquiris and piña coladas. It also mixes well with ginger ale or soda water for a refreshing rum and soda.
Plantation 3 Stars
This French rum is made from a blend of Jamaican, Trinidadian, and Guyanese rums. It's aged for 2 years in ex-bourbon barrels, which gives it a nice vanilla flavor. It's great for mixing cocktails or enjoying on its own.
Drink enthusiasts there's nothing like a punchy cocktail to get the party started. Whether you're serving up a big batch for a group or shaking up a single serve, these festive drinks pack a flavorful punch. From classic punches made with rum and bourbon to fruity punches made with seasonal fruits, there's a punch recipe for every occasion. However you make it, one thing is for sure: a punchy cocktail is always guaranteed to please.