The Trinidad Sour is the perfect summer cocktail. It's refreshing, tart, and just a little sweet. Plus, it's easy to make! Just follow the simple recipe and you'll be sipping on this delicious drink in no time.
The History of the Trinidad Sour Cocktail
The Trinidad Sour was invented during the 2000s by Giuseppe Gonzalez, a New York City bartender. More specifically, it was created in 2009 at the Clover Club bar in New York City. The cocktail is now loved by many worldwide.
What Does the Trinidad Sour Taste Like
The flavor of the Trinidad Sour cocktail is tart and citrusy with a touch of sweetness. The drink consists of Angostura Bitters, Orgeat, Lemon Juice, and Rye Whiskey. The Angostura Bitters give the drink a slight bitterness while the Orgeat and Lemon Juice balance it out with sweetness and tartness. The Rye Whiskey rounds it all off and gives the Trinidad Sour its alcohol content.
How To Make The Trinidad Sour Cocktail Recipe
- 0.5 oz Rye Whiskey
- 1 oz Orgeat Syrup
- 0.75 oz Lemon Juice
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, add in Rye Whiskey, Orgeat Syrup, and Lemon Juice.
- Shake well
- Strain and serve in a cocktail glass.
Tips on How to Make the Best Trinidad Sour Cocktail
- Garnish with a lemon wedge, cherry, even an egg white.
- Add a dash or a few ounces Angostura Bitters for a touch of bitterness.
- For an extra tart flavor, use fresh lemon juice instead of bottled.
- To make Orgeat syrup, combine 2 parts almond milk to 1 part sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. You can also find Orgeat syrup at most liquor stores.
- If you don't have Angostura Bitters, you can substitute with another type of bitters or even omit it altogether. However, the Trinidad Sour will not be as authentic without the Angostura Bitters.
- Add an extra ounce rye whiskey for an even boozier cocktail.
Recommended Rye Whiskey Brands
- Jack Daniel's
- Alberta Premium
Recommended Orgeat Syrup Brands
- Torani Orgeat
- Monin Orgeat
- Liber & Co Orgeat
What Foods Pair Well with the Trinidad Sour Cocktail?
think fruit, fruit tart, or a light dessert.
a nice, crisp salad, ceviche, or light pasta dishes.
anything from sushi to Thai food.
If You Love The Trinidad Sour, You'll Love These Drinks!
Recipe: Rye Whiskey, Dry Vermouth, Pineapple Juice
Recipe: Rye Whiskey, Blackberry Mint Syrup, Ginger Beer, Lime Juice
Recipe: Rye Whiskey, Apéritif, Sweet Vermouth
Ginger Ale Highball
Recipe: Rye Whiskey, Ginger Ale
Thanks to Giuseppe Gonzalez, the Trinidad Sour is the ideal summer beverage. It's light, crisp, and has just enough sweetness. Plus, it's easy to make and can be made in advance. So what are you waiting for? Get Mixing!